Sunday 6 March 2011

The Collingwood, West Kirby, Merseyside

The Lamb
The Pear Tartin
Went there in a group of 15. Had the set dinner menu.

My starter was the scallop with white chocolate and truffles risotto. It was very tasty with the scallops perfectly pan-fried but the risotto was slightly cold. It tasted quite good though.

For my mains, I had the Rack and Breast of Texel lamb, which was about average. The rack was tasty but was not spectacular and the breast was slightly dry. The garlic risotto was unremarkable and I had to look at the menu again to realise what it was!

I had a slice of the roasted wing rib of rare breed beef (another option on the menu) which was mildly flavoursome. Quite unremarkable otherwise.

The highlight of my meal was the pear tartin. It was warm, juicy and sweet. The pastry was crunchy at the edges, moist in the middle. It came with a fruit puree, chocolate sauce and ice cream. Other than the ice cream, I thought the other 2 accompaniment were redundant.

The atmosphere was lovely, the service was warm and friendly. It was quite informal, but the use of karaoke in the restaurant did take it down a tad.

Lastly, the website is messy and poorly organised.

Overall, I would visit the restaurant again to give it a second chance but I am not impressed with it this occasion.

The Website

Opening Times

  • Open daily 11.00am until late

Address

Black Horse Hill, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 6DS
0151 625 4525

Directions

Blackhorse Hill, West Kirby, just near the Mercedes garage.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, it's now closed! I suppose I cold have predicted it as the food was not brilliant.

    ReplyDelete